Monday, August 3, 2009

Dear twin sister

Dear Twin sister,
By the time you read this, I would be dead and gone. I know you will shed tears of agony over my wasted life. I know you will ask why I did it. why why why?
Why? If you look at me, then at yourself, you will find the why. Look beyond ceaseless times and seasons, you will see the why wrapped in fated doom.
Together, we grew in one womb. We swam in the same blood. We were destined to be one, a mystery of creation. And when the time came for us to finally see the world, you went first and I followed. We were like a song that would never go wrong. But remember, I go awfully wrong.
At the mother breast, it was always a healthy competition. You drank, I drank too. I cried, you cried too. We were dressed like one. We were fed like one. Oh yes, we were loved as one.
And then, you began to toddle round the house and I did not. With time, you were walking and running and yet I could not. Four years and the truth dawned. I was born a cripple!
We are one, yet we are different. When we were kids, you had so many friends and I had none. You were loved by many but I was pitied by many. During the school inter house sports, you were always winning the race. I could have represented the school in debate contests because I could speak better than everyone else. I was denied of those opportunities because I have no legs. You took all the glories and I was left with nothing.
Everyone keeps saying that I am the prettiest, but the boys think otherwise. All the love letters were heaped on you. Remember what happened when we were still teenagers? Mum and dad traveled and we were left alone in the house. I crawled out of our room into the sitting room and what did I see? You and Dave making love. At sixteen, you already knew love. That night, I longed for a man’s touch but none came. Who would make love to a cripple, anyway.
I am angry! But not at you. Not even at God. I am angry at myself. Maybe I choose to be like this. Maybe I brought this on myself. Maybe I go wrong somehow somewhere. I don’t know, really I don’t.
But I know. I know I am going to die and now. I am going away. Away from this unwholesome wish for you to be me and me to be you. Away to a place where I would finally find my wings.
Adieu my sister. Adieu…

20 comments:

Rita said...

Is this real?

the walking man said...

May the narrator of this piece find wings on her journey and peace in her soul.

Olufunke said...

hmmmmm
Very deep
Well written again
Held me till the end.

So sad the things we go through in life (especially when we feel we are helpless and can do nothing about our situations)
Thank God for He gives us hope even in the most seemingly impossible situations

Unknown said...

i feel like whipping the physically challenged twin

I have never been physically challenged but in this life, everyone has as much opportunities as they imagine.

Meeting Jesus would have made a difference.

These days i feel no pity for bad situations bcos when people feel pity, they turn around and become nasty. on the contrary when they feel compassion, they figure out a difference.

so i feel compassion for the physically challenged twin but suicide is not an option, everyone needs a fighting spirit to overcome this world including the folks with perceived advantages... and God holding your hand, directing your path.

Shishi said...

It got to me,actually pictured it..felt the emotions.

Sweetnothin' said...

nicely written but i pray its not true

Rick said...

Very, very well done.

Catherine Vibert said...

This is amazing. As are your last several posts. I would be honored to be your blogging friend. Thank you for coming to my blog so I could find you.

doll (retired blogger) said...

sad

Teejay said...

Thanks Dee, for ur commrnyd on my blog

Kass said...

You are a beautiful writer! Thank you for your comment on my blog.

Lyrics said...

Gosh! Such ingenuity. You write in an uncommon way dear.

tommeh said...

This is relly deep. I don't have a twin yet I felt something related to it. This is really a tochy write-up. And hopefully, this didn't happen.

Tinu said...

wow!!!
U WRITE SOO WELL!
is it real???

The Girl with the Red Hair said...

Is this for real!!!

This is so sad and nicely written

Molara Brown said...

Nicely written...
This is beautiful and yet so

Thanks for stopping by at my blog

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

Very heavy.

Nicely written though.

NIGERIAN CURIOSITY
IT WAS SO MUCH EASIER WHEN I ONLY HAD ONE...

sukkilala said...

YOU HAVE BEEN CONSUMED BR INTELLIGENCE!

atunnise said...

Wow, this is deep! I don't have a twin but I have siblings and friends.

Growing up, I felt like the ugly duckling and the only consolation I had then was the fact that I was intelligent and I knew it so I had that as a substitute ego booster until I found real myself in my teenage years.

I just pray that when I become a parent, I can identify this insecurities in each of my children and boost there ego regardless of the difference they might see in themselves.

Nicely done.

O yea, thanks for the comment on my blog.

Cheers

التميز المثالي للخدمات المنزلية said...


شركة تنظيف بالدمام

شركة تنظيف منازل بالدمام

شركة تنظيف فلل بالدمام

شركة تنظيف شقق بالدمام

شركة تسليك مجارى بالدمام

شركة تنظيف منازل بالخبر

شركة تنظيف فلل بالخبر

شركة تنظيف شقق بالخبر

شركة تنظيف بالخبر

شركة تسليك مجارى بالخبر

شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالاحساء

شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام

شركة مكافحة حشرات بالخبر

شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالدمام